Saturday 21 September 2013

A Fleeting Muse



In the fields of Alexandria

She called me, on the day I died,
To walk the Path and see beyond the veil.
Many have gone before me
To tread the path to New Alexandria.

I have walked the deep deserts,
In hues of dusty ochre,
I have danced atop the dunes,
As I followed the paths of those who wander.
I rode the white horse across a field of water,
And heard the song of the witch of autumn,
I swam in the emerald lake beneath a lilac sky,
And ate alone at her table,
But she has gone before me,
To the towers of New Alexandria.
Stone and snow have raised me up, here
At the ceiling of the world, I have looked
For a road to take me to her,
But the sun blinded me, and the moon tricked me,
So the stars fell on me, on an ice cold night,
A thousand perfect points to show me the way,
To guide a journeyman to the gates of New Alexandria.
I walked the cities of man,
And saw all the shades of steel and grey,
I paced the glass valleys, and wept for the tortured skies.
I was caught in a dream of industry,
A nightmare of grinding gears and sleeting numbers.
The labyrinth held me, lost and far from home.

She called me, the day after I died,
Sang me my song of wandering,
I could only hear her, the voice of dusken angel,
Calling me to New Alexandria.
I left behind the jungle of stone, and walked in the
Halls of the green, I listened for her on the wind,
But heard only the breeze through the branches.
I slept in the boughs of the forest, and
Breathed in the scent of the wild.
I sang her song and found the stars in a crystal stream.

The great ocean lay before me, its roar fills my ears,
Its scent fills the air, but my eyes see neither tide nor surf,
For I see a city, in pale marble and gold.
She called me, the day I died,
Called me away beyond the veil, to the end of the path.
Now, I walk in sunlight, in a garden of green and silver,
Dazzled by a morning sunrise over a pale wall,
I came to here, to New Alexandria,
To find those who had finished their journeys.

-September 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment